This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA CHAPEL ROAD (north east side), Shoebury Garrison 5/94 28.4.86 Gunnery Drill Shed, Shoebury Garrison
Gunnery drill shed. 1859, lecture room added 1908. Rendered plinth, brick with C20 asbestos covering to original iron-framed north-light roof. EXTERIOR: single-storey; 9-bay range, with C20 additions. Coupled red brick pilasters with moulded capitals flank stock brick panels containing tall arched openings with brick keystones. Central tall sliding iron doors to each facade, most bays contain high-level large-paned windows above blocked former gunposts. Modillion cornice with stone top below asymmetrical gables of the north-light roof outlined in projecting brickwork. INTERIOR: single-span valley girders composed of bolted plates. HISTORY: purpose designed for gunnery drill and an early example of free-span north-light roofs. The oak-framed gun posts were bricked up in the 1960s. Shoebury was expanded in 1859 as the first British School of Gunnery. One of the earliest indoor drill sheds, forming part of a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1859-: CTR 338-366).
Listing NGR: TQ9389684659
This is part of the Series: IOE\Webber_John IOE Records for Webber, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE John Webber. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Webber, John
Rights Holder: Webber, John
Asbestos, Brick, Iron, Render, Victorian Drill Hall, Defence, Military Training Site, Lecture Theatre, Education