This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA WARRIOR SQUARE (east side), Shoebury Garrison
5/728 Numbers 1-4 (Consecutive) Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks 28.4.86 GV II
Terrace of 4 officers' quarters at British School of Gunnery, now houses. 1860, Block D added c1870, altered 1925. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick flat arches, brick ridge stacks and slate roof. Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan with rear service blocks. EXTERIOR: each a 2-storey; 5-window range. Long symmetrical front with plat band and overhanging roof; each house has a central flat-headed porch with narrow side lights, flat-headed door with overlight and double panelled doors, and narrow side windows, with flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. 1-window range end gables have a blind attic lunette. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having rear dogleg stair from entrance hall. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Each originally had rooms for 4 officers to the front and rear servants' quarters. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 361-364; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ8832085635
This is part of the Series: IOE\Webber_John IOE Records for Webber, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE John Webber. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Webber, John
Rights Holder: Webber, John
Brick, Slate, Victorian Officers Quarters, Domestic, Military Residence, Residential Building, Terrace, Multiple Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Monument <By Form>