This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TQ6599 HIGH STREET, Ingatestone 723-1/14/397 (North West side) Milepost between Nos. 74 & 76
Milepost. Early-C19. Cast-iron. Triangular in plan, one vertical surface facing S embossed 'Chelmsford 6', one vertical surface facing E embossed 'Brentwood 5'. Chamfered back to a sloping surface above facing SE, embossed 'Ingatstone'. The road from Shenfield to Ingatestone was one of the first roads in Essex to be turnpiked, adopted by the Essex Trust in 1695. The erection of milestones was a statutory obligation from the 1760s. The previous milestone at this site is shown in Cary, l790, 48. This design in cast-iron was initiated by James McAdam, and was adopted by the Essex Trust in 1819 at the instigation of _Lewis Majendie to avoid the frequent 'costs of re-cutting the inscriptions in limestone, and for greater clarity (Booker, 1974). (Cary J: Survey of the High Roads from London: 1790-: 48; Booker J: Essex and the Industrial Revolution: 1974-: 101-116).
Listing NGR: TQ6508199642
Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cole, Colleen
Rights Holder: Cole, Colleen
Cast Iron, Georgian Milestone, Transport, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Furniture, Milepost