This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX4753 HOE ROAD, Hoe 740-1/66/275 (North side) 01/05/75 Belvedere (Formerly Listed as: THE HOE, Plymouth Belvidere)
Large summer house or belvedere in public park, erected on the site of former bull ring. 1891 date flanking central royal coat of arms; the structure incorporates C17 granite Tuscan columns from the old Market (see also Drake's Place, North Hill qv). Mostly stuccoed with stucco detail. Terraced building on 3 levels each with an open colonnaded front, each colonnade with an entablature with triglyphs and a dentilled cornice and surmounted by a turned balustrade. The lower level is 4:1:4 bays, the central bay broken forward and with date panel flanked by pilasters. The next level has a cavetto semicircular-on-plan 1:6:1-bay front with canted ends; the top level has similar but less curved and canted front of 1:5:1 bays plus solid end bays, and with a flagpole above the central bay. There are 2 cast-iron lamp standards above the lower level at left and right. One of many fine buildings in this park. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 665).
Listing NGR: SX4758553824
Copyright IoE Mr Derek Hiscock. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hiscock, Derek
Rights Holder: Hiscock, Derek
Cast Iron, Granite, Stucco, Tudor Column, Elizabethan Unassigned, Stuart Building Component, Jacobean Building, Belvedere, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Summerhouse, Lamp Post, Street Furniture