This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX4753 THE PROMENADE, Hoe 740-1/66/309 The Smeaton Tower 25/01/54 (Formerly Listed as: THE HOE, Plymouth The Smeaton Tower)
Resited upper part of the former Eddystone Lighthouse. 1759 by John Smeaton, erected here on new base in 1882. Circular tapered tower of painted granite ashlar; octagonal lantern with glazing bars and ogee-shaped roof surmounted by ball finial and weather vane; small 4-pane windows to tower. When this lighthouse was first built it was considered to be an important technical achievement. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 665).
Listing NGR: SX4776253799
Copyright IoE Mr Derek Hiscock. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hiscock, Derek
Rights Holder: Hiscock, Derek
Ashlar, Granite, Georgian Lighthouse, Maritime, Navigation Aid, Communications, Signalling Structure