Church Of St Philip And St James / Church Of St Andrew

Date:
21 Aug 1999
Location:
Church Of St Philip And St James, Towne Gate, Heddon On The Wall, Castle Morpeth, Northumberland
Show all locations
Church Of St Andrew, Towne Gate, Heddon On The Wall, Castle Morpeth, Northumberland
Reference:
IOE01/00188/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL TOWNE GATE NZ 16 NW

20/147 Church of St Andrew (formerly listed as Church of St Philip 28.4.69 arid St James)

I

Parish church. Some Saxon masonry, C12 chancel partly remodelled C13, aisles C13. Restored and west end added 1839. Squared stone with Welsh slate and Lakeland slate roofs.

Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry.

4-bay nave with paired lancets of 1839, largely in older masonry. Late medieval south porch with pointed-arched doorway, sundial in gable and pointed tunnel vault. South-east corner of nave, where it joins the aisle, has Saxon quoins.

Lintels of north windows inscribed TAB 1839.

Chancel has double-chamfered plinth, blocked very narrow priest's door with plain tympanum and one small C12 north window. South windows are tall paired lancets and pierced circles above with carved heads. C12 sill band broken by larger C13 windows. Two broad flat buttresses. East end has stepped lancets of 1839.

Gabled roofs. East end has ridged coping with roll moulding, flat coping elsewhere. Tall gabled west bellcote.

Interior: C12 rib-vaulted presbytery with ribs of 2 roll moulds resting at east end on shafts with cushion capitals; west ribs and presbytery arch rest on triple responds of similar shafts; the arch has unmoulded soffit and pronounced zigzag towards nave; head of Saxon wheel-head cross on window sill.

Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered with broaches, small nailhead in north capital. Medieval gravecover in south window sill; Saxon tympanum above C19 door into vestry. North arcade c.1200, broad-chamfered pointed arches with round piers and capitals; east capital has primitive volutes, east respond has waterleaf capital. Early C13 south arcade with round piers and double-chamfered arches. West bay is addition of 1839. C15 chest in north aisle. Small round C17 font on round base with moulded foot.

Listing NGR: NZ1338566892

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Black_J.H. IOE Records for Black, J.H.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Black, J.H.

Rights Holder: Black, J.H.

Keywords

Slate, Stone, Early Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament