This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TQ6499 HIGH STREET, Ingatestone 723-1/14/394 (North West side) 20/02/76 No.126 Ingatestone House (south-west part) (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD HIGH STREET, Ingatestone (North West side) No.126 (south-west part)
School, later house, now combined with house to NE. Early C19, extended in C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade redclay tiles. Rectangular main range facing SE with an external stack at each side. The right stack is enclosed in the front left corner of the house to right; the left stack is enclosed in a C19 single-storey service wing to left, with a slate roof, part of which has been extended to the rear to form a garage with rear access. 2 adjacent rear wings bonded .together; the' left rear wing has an internal stack at the end, and has been altered at the left so that this side of the roof is of lower pitch than the remainder, roofed with slate. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 original sashes of 6+6 lights with flat arches of gauged brick. First floor, 3 original sashes of 8+8 lights. All have painted reveals, some crown glass. Central doorway, blocked to form a fixed light of 12 panes and a single panel below, in simple pilastered and pedimented doorcase. Symmetrical elevation. Hipped roof. The left stack, where visible above the extension, has tumbling courses at the shoulders. Inscribed in the right return, about one metre above ground level, are the initials WC or WG and the date 1814. This is a likely position for the initials of the master mason and the date of construction. The left elevatlon of the left rear wing has on the ground floor one early C19 sash of 12+12 lights with a segmental brick arch; the casement of 6+6 lights above it may be early C19 also. The rear elevation has on the ground floor, at the junction of the parallel wings, one early C19 casement of 6+6 lights with a segmental brick arch, and on the first floor of the left rear wing a similar casement; both have stone sills. The rear elevation of the service range to left has a C19 casement of 12+12 lights with some handmade glass. The combined house is shown on the OS map as Nos 124 and 126. HISTORICAL NOTE:-a seminary for young ladies called Ingatestone House was opened here in 1815 by Mrs Harvey and Miss Buchanan. It was recorded as The Academy in 1843, occupied by John and Ann Tabrum. In 1851 there were 25 resident pupils, and in 1861 19 resident pupils aged 5-10 years. It was still Ingatestone House School in 1905, headmaster Thomas Watkins. (Kemble JVH: Survey of Ingatestone High Street: 1987-).
Listing NGR: TQ6484399427