This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2463 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAYTON STREET WEST (east side)
22/184 Cathedral of St. Mary 14/6/54
Roman Catholic Cathedral. Circa 1844;a major composition by A.W.H Pugin.
Tower completed c. 1872 by A.M. Dunn and E.J. Hansom. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roofs of graduated slates with overlapping stone gable copings; stone spire. Aisled nave and chancel without division; south-west polygonal chapel now entrance porch, and to east of this the tower. Decorated style. West double door with elaborate hinges in moulded and shafted surround; 5-light window above flanked by niches with figures; reticulated tracery to 3- light west aisle windows under gables; gabled buttresses. South door, in tall tower, similar to west door; upper stages of tower have cusped lancets, slits and 2-light belfry openings under crocketed dripmould with fantastic beast finials; quatrefoil pierced parapet has corner pinnacles with spirelets; tall octagonal spire has crocketed lucarnes, weathercock finial. 3-light aisle windows, 6-light at east. Interior: plaster above boarded dado with tiled frieze; angel corbels support scissor - braced roof trusses; round piers to 7-bay nave and chancel, with moulded arches. Caen stone altar and reredos with much carving; similar style lectern and pulpit.
Listing NGR: NZ2446963911
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Plaster, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Timber, Georgian Roman Catholic Cathedral, Victorian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Cathedral, Place Of Worship, Weather Vane, Unassigned