This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL NZ 05 NW NZ 046552
10/257 Church of St.
Parish Church, now redundant. Rebuilt 1769 (date on crossing arch) on medieval hilltop site; restored and altered 1892 (dated slab on east wall). Coursed rubble with cut quoins and dressings; slate roof.
Equal-armed cruciform plan with gabled entrance porch on south transept gable. C19 studded double doors in pointed arch; single round- arched lights in gable above porch roof and in side walls of nave and both transepts; north transept has projecting end stack and studded door in chamfered surround on right[ Nave west end has pointed window under plain arched bellcote with pedimented top. Chancel has paired lancets in side walls and C19 east windows in C13 style: 2 lights below a quatrefoil. Dated slab with cross, flanked by heads of early medieval slabs with expanded-arm crosses, below. All gables coped with swept kneelers and various finials. Several C18 headstones affixed to exterior walls, including one west of porch to William Dixon of Shotley field, 1767; pedimented top, scrolly surround, foliage decoration.
Interior: chamfered segmental diagonal arches over crossing, dated at intersection. C19 moulded credence table and piscina corbelled out from chancel window sills. Mural tablets on east side of south transept (Rev. Thomas Simpson, 1754 with Latin inscription in scrolly frame) and at west end (Christopher Hunter, 1757,'a learned and judicious Antiquary and Physician'). Fittings late C19, including panelled vestry screen across north transept; small chamfered C18 vestry fireplace. Stone benches in porch.
Listing NGR: NZ0453055198
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Rubble, Slate, Georgian Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Gravestone, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship