This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE GREAT NORTH ROAD (east side) 8/422 17/12/71 Drinking fountain at corner of Clayton Road (north side) G.V. II Drinking fountain. Circa 1901. Signed by Marshall and Tweedy, architects, and W. Donaldson sculptor. In memory of W.D. Stephen, 1827-1901, mayor and sheriff of Newcastle, promoter of maritime commerce and temperance and the welfare of the poor. Erected by public subscription. Sandstone ashlar and pink granite with bronze roundel; cast iron railings. Tall sandstone panel, with scrolled date panel in broken pediment, has garlanded swags to-pediment and to flanking high obelisks on deeply-moulded plinths. Low flat-coped walls at each side have iron balustrades. Granite basin beneath inscription in main panel with round plaque.
Listing NGR: NZ2487265720
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Bronze, Cast Iron, Granite, Sandstone, Victorian Wall, 20th Century Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Drinking Fountain, Water Supply And Drainage, Fountain, Water Supply Site, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Railings