This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE FENHAM HAIL DRIVE (south side) 8/237 17/12/71 St. Mary's Training College administration block and chapel.
G.V. II* House. Fenham Hall, 1748 by D. Garrett, with south tympanum carved by James Guthrie, for John Ord, mayor of Newcastle. North front and wings early C19 by Newton; east front mid C19. Became R.C. Convent school and college in 1905.
Sandstone ashlar. North front Flemish bond brick with ashlar dressings and quoins.
Graduated Lakeland slate roofs. E-plan. 2 storeys. Original garden front: 9 bays with 13-bay pedimented projecting centre, set-back outer bays. Plinth band.
Arcaded ground floor centre has central niche. All windows altered in original architraves, those on ground floor outer bays with pulvinated friezes and pediments.
Top cornice and parapet. Ord arms in pediment. Entrance front 11 bays: end bays project deeply with quoins; 3 central bays project with giant Tuscan engaged columns and pediment. Central door, up 5 steps, and sashes with glazing bars, all in architraves; ground floor cornices. 9-bay east front, in French C18 style, has central door under open segmental pediment. Interior: 1908 chapel has Ionic Order to chancel and reredos arches; entablature; panelled, low barrel-vaulted ceiling. Original interior destroyed by fire in 1908. About to become empty at time of survey. Sources: E. Mackenzie View of the County of Northumberland Newcastle 1825 p.410; Society of the Sacred Heart St. Mary's College Fenham 1905-1985 n.d.
Listing NGR: NZ2211065418
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Theological College, Education, Training College, Church School, School, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship