Pillar Fountain 30 Metres East Of Hayes Farmhouse

Date:
19 Jul 2000
Location:
Pillar Fountain 30 Metres East Of Hayes Farmhouse, Bantons Lane, Ticknall, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire
Reference:
IOE01/00199/05
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TICKNALL BANTONS LANE SK 32 SE 1259-/4/10005 Pillar Fountain 30 metres east of Hayes Farmhouse GV II

Pillar fountain. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd of Kilmarnock. Erected 1914 at the instructioinof Sir Vauncey Harpur-Crewe of Calke Abbey. Fluted cast iron cylindrical column, with moulded domed top, incorporating tap lever handle, Lion mask surround to tap outlet, and integral bucket platform to base. The design, apparently of the late C19 date is referred to as Kennedy's patent, selfclosing, anti-freezing Pillar fountain.

The fountain forms part of a fresh water supply system for the village of Ticknall, (itself part of the Harpur-Crewe estate), of which 16 other examples (q.v.) survive. The fountains were served by gravity from a reservoirfilled with water drawn from a well by wind-pump.



Listing NGR: SK3548123942

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Bates_Thomas IOE Records for Bates, Thomas; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Bates. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bates, Thomas

Rights Holder: Bates, Thomas

Keywords

Cast Iron, 20th Century Drinking Fountain, Water Supply And Drainage, Fountain, Water Supply Site