This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TICKNALL MAIN STREET SK 32 SE 1259-/4/10004 Pillar Fountain 10 metres west of No 76 GV II
Pillar fountain. Manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy Ltd of Kilmarnock. Erected 1914 at the instructioinof Sir Vauncey Harpur-Crewe of Calke Abbey. Fluted cast iron cylindrical column, with moulded domed top, incorporating tap lever handle, Lion mask surround to tap outlet, and integral bucket platform to base. The design, apparently of the late C19 date is referred to as Kennedy's patent, self closing, anti-freezing Pillar fountain.
The fountain forms part of a fresh water supply system for the village of Ticknall, (itself part of the Harpur-Crewe estate), of which 16 other examples (q.v.) survive. The fountains were served by gravity from a reservoirfilled with water drawn from a well by wind-pump.
Listing NGR: SK3551924010
© Mr Thomas Bates. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bates, Thomas
Rights Holder: Bates, Thomas
Cast Iron, 20th Century Drinking Fountain, Water Supply And Drainage, Fountain, Water Supply Site