This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TF6119NE SATURDAY MARKET PLACE 610-1/9/199 (North side) 01/12/51 Guildhall
Guildhall (of the Holy and Undivided Trinity), now part of civic accommodation. 1422-28; porch and interior alterations of 1624. Brick with ashlar and flint dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Narrow site, set gable-end to street. Two elements. To right (east) is the gabled guildhall proper, with the Stone Hall forming the upper 2 floors and lit through a 7-light Perpendicular arched window with panel tracery. Moulded jambs.
Stone string course divides this from ground floor. Ground floor is a brick undercroft used, when built, to store the guilds goods. Originally entered through 2 timber doorways, these removed and replaced with two 2-light, round-arched Y-tracery windows. One small 2-light window flanks right and left. Polygonal corner turrets close elevation and rise to gabled roof. Whole of facade decorated with knapped flint squares alternating with stone squares to produce chequered flushwork. Original entrance to Stone Hall was via a dog-leg staircase against west wall. In 1624 present porch built to protect new staircase; this forms left (west) element in overall design. Of same materials and with same chequered flushwork. 3 storeys and gabled roof. Diminishing polygonal corner shafts and string courses at each floor. Central round-headed doorway with pair of engaged Doric columns. Guttae under flat hood. Small subsidiary doors either side under lunettes. First floor lit through 6-light transomed casement. Top floor with a large re-used coat of arms relating to reign of Elizabeth, and inscribed Edward Hargae, Mayor, 1624. This flanked by a small light each side and another in each of returns. When noticed that coat of arms to Elizabeth was re-used, a new achievement relating to Charles II was erected on parapet at Restoration and inscribed William Wharton, Mayor, 1664. INTERIOR. Porch doorway leads to timber staircase. Fluted Ionic timber columns on high bases right and left. Balustrade with fat turned balusters and moulded handrail. Dog-legs to right to approach entrance to Stone Hall: moulded stone jambs and arch, with double plank and muntin doors. Stone Hall in 4 bays (originally 6). Chamfered wall arches. Wainscoting from 1895. Roof of crenellated tie beams supported on arched braces with pierced tracery spandrels. Roof above is scissor-braced, but boarded. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TF6171619861
© Graham Brown. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Graham
Rights Holder: Brown, Graham
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Tile, Medieval Guildhall, Commercial, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.