This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TF6220SW BLACKFRIARS ROAD 610-1/8/14 (North side) 07/06/72 Nos.3-13 (Consecutive) St John's Terrace and attached area railings
Terrace of Houses. Nos 1-2 destroyed by bomb in 1941, disturbing symmetry of the whole. Nos 3-9 built by 1846, Nos 11-13 c1850. Brown brick with red brick dressings. Gabled slate roof, except Nos 4, 7 and 8 which have concrete tiles. Nos 3-5 and Nos 9-13 of 3 storeys and basement; central block, Nos 6-8, taller and with a dormer attic Each house of 2 bays, entered from the left side, except Nos 10-13 which are entered from the right. First and second-floor windows placed symmetrically so are not vertically above those to ground floor. At first floor is a continuous wrought-iron balcony approached through French doors which changes design for Nos 10-13. Each house except those to the centre block separated by red brick pilasters. Centre block is broken forward. Doors are panelled with stucco surrounds and overlights (Nos 4 and 13 have C20 glazed doors). Fenestration of sashes with glazing bars and deep gauged skewback arches, one or two being horned replacements, a few others C20 alternatives. Stacks at division of properties. INTERIOR. Stick baluster staircases, panelled doors, unambitious detailing. Cast- and wrought-iron area railings with a mixture of finial types. Round section verticals.
Listing NGR: TF6224419970
Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Graham
Rights Holder: Brown, Graham
Brick, Cast Iron, Concrete, Slate, Tile, Wrought Iron, Victorian Terraced House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Railings, Barrier, Terrace, Multiple Dwelling