This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MAIDEN BRADLEY CHURCH STREET ST 83 NW (east side) 4/84 Church of All Saints 6.1.66 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, early C14, C15, 1845 restoration.
Rubble stone and dressed limestone, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel and Lady Chapel, south vestry and porch. C15 gabled porch with original ledged door in Tudor-arched doorway with carved spandrels and hoodmould, cornice with gargoyles, coped verge with lozenge block sundial. Nave has 2-light C19 geometric-style window to left and two to right, plain stone C15 parapet, but walls rebuilt Cl9. South vestry attached to chancel has C19 door with ornamental hinges and two cusped lancets.
Chancel has cusped C19 lancet to south and north, flanking buttresses and C18 moulded east window with clear leaded glass.
Lady Chapel to north has C19 two-light east window, large tablet on north wall to Seymour family. Restored north aisle has four Cl9 2- light windows and buttresses, plain parapet, 2-light Perpendicular window to west. Three-stage tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, 3-light west window with reticulated tracery, octagonal clock face over, bellstage has string course, 2-light Perpendicular windows with louvres, cornice to plain parapet with corner gargoyles, polygonal stair turret to north east Tudor arched doorway, parapet with open quatrefoils.
Interior of porch has ovolo-moulded segmental-headed doorway to nave. Nave has stone floors, 4-bay roof with chamfered tie-beams, collar rafter trusses, formerly plastered. Four-bay north arcade has three pointed arches to west on chamfered square piers, possibly late C12, east arch is C14 ovolo-moulded, south arcade has similar arch to east, to west are continuously double chamfered arches, probably C14; north and south-west arches are smaller.
Cl9 roof to north aisle, C15 south-aisle roof with moulded cross beams, C14 mask corbels retained at lower level. Tower arch on mask corbels, organ moved here from Lady Chapel 1967. Continuously double chamfered chancel arch with doorway to former rood loft above to left, reached by stone stairs from Lady Chapel. Chancel has Cl9 collar rafter roof, fittings removed C20, including replacement of early Cl9 pictorial stained glass with clear glass in 1959. Nave retains fine C17 pews throughout with shell head bench ends and strapwork friezes, polygonal pulpit and reading desk to match, similar to those in Church of Michael, Mere (q.v.).
Square C12 Purbeck marble font bowl on central pier with four smaller shafts to corners, good C17 cover. Carved wooden Royal Arms over south door. Stained glass in north aisle by Whall to Fifteenth Duke of Somerset died 1923. Fine large monument in south aisle to Sir Edward Seymour died 1707, erected 1728 by Rysbrack; white marble reclining figure in front of tablet with pediment with cherubs, scrolled pediment with arms over. Prayer boards at west end of north aisle. Six bells dating from 1613 to 1895, the earlier ones recast 1895.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; H.K.
Kitching, Church Guide, 1970; R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1951).
Listing NGR: ST8036238658
© Mr G.M. Cotton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cotton, G.M.
Rights Holder: Cotton, G.M.
Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Coat Of Arms
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.