This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 61 SE CINDERFORD ST. WHITES ROAD (north side)
10/29 Church of St. John the Evangelist
Parish Church; 1844, by Edward Blore. Squared coursed masonry, ashlar dressings, slate roof. Cruciform plan, with 4-bay nave, narrow aisles, transepts, chancel, south porch and south west tower. Early English style. Porch low, gabled, square set buttresses. To left tower, in three stages; lowest square with square-set gabled buttresses, sloping offset to octagonal second and third stages, third ashlar with one lancet per face, louvred.
Above corbelled eaves and spire with roll moulding to angles.
Aisle plinth, plain string course at sill level, tall lancets, corbelled eaves; no clerestory. Transept door beneath central lancet, quatrefoil in gable, large kneelers to gable copings.
Chancel semi-octagon, buttressed, height relating to nave arcade.
All lancet windows have hood moulds. Internally painted brick walls, chancel only plastered. Kneelers and certain voussoirs to chancel arch, rock faced. Square timber posts form arcade, carrying queen strut trusses. Crossing has larger hollow octagonal timber posts, carrying arch-braced collar trusses. Western gallery on cast iron columns, formerly galleries in transepts (organ now in north transept). Ribs to angles of chancel roof, rising from stone corbels. Chancel screen added c1913.
Listing NGR: SO6527712786
© Mr Derek Simmonds. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Simmonds, Derek
Rights Holder: Simmonds, Derek
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Timber, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship