This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5409 WILTON PARK Triumphal entrance arch and flanking lodges (formerly listed as entrance to Wilton House [including flanking walls]) SU 0931 5/1B 4.8.51.
Centrepiece circa 1758-62, an early work by Sir William Chambers. Formerly an eyecatcher to south of house. Moved here circa 1801 by Wyatt who added lodges. Entirely built of ashlar. Triumphal arch built to carry equestrian lead statue of Marcus Aurelius (probably a Restoration work). Detached pairs of Corinthian columns to sides, dentil cornice and blocking course.
Inside is an archway on free-standing Doric columns, with stone inscription tablet above and garlanded paterae in spandrels. Mask for key. North side has Corinthian pilasters instead. Coffered arch. Excellent C18 wrought-iron gates bought 1855 by Sidney Herbert at Mount Merrion, Dublin.
Linked to single storey wings by short covered passages at impost height and with outer detached columns, capped by blocking courses. Lodges are single storey ashlar with one window (glazing bar sash in architrave surround) to north and south and entered from passage. Side piers with panels. Balustraded parapets. Hipped roofs. Linked to kitchen courtyard walls by 1 window extension to left and 2 window extension to right. Muniment Room now in east lodge.
Listing NGR: SU0994331086
This is part of the Series: IOE\Read_Peter IOE Records for Read, Peter; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Read, Peter
Rights Holder: Read, Peter
Ashlar, Lead, Wrought Iron, Stuart Gate, Georgian Unassigned, Triumphal Arch, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Lodge, Domestic, Covered Way, Column, Building Component, Building, Statue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture, Muniment House, Civil, Plaque