This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5409 WILTON PARK Park School House (formerly listed as Pavilion to north-east of Wilton House) SU 13 SW 1/1J 4.8.51.
Probably early C19, when Wyatt re-erected the centrepiece of Isaac de Caux's circa 1635 grotto here.
Ashlar. Low single storey building tacked on to south of grotto front. Originally a 3 bay pavilion - the right hand part - with a later 2 bay extension.
Projecting plinth, pulvinated frieze and blocking course. Pedimented central break flanked by engaged Ionic columns and flanking side breaks for Ionic columns.
Central blind arch with columns supporting bust of 'Libertas'. Flanking doorways with architrave surrounds - now glazing bar sash windows. Replica bays to left and south return partly cement faced. The centrepiece of the right hand part may well also come from Isaac de Caux's grotto which had similar outer pavilions. The similarity in handling with the loggietta suggests this.
The principal interest centres on the north front, circa 1637-39, the extra- ordinary carved work was attributed by Colen Campbell to Nicholas Stone Junior. Pediment over 3 bay centre, lower flanking wings set back and joined to centre by large scrolls above blocking course. Single storey ashlar built. Pedimented centre quoined with outer pilasters and inner engaged columns with composite capitals. Capitals capped by half length nude supporting corona. Central pedimented doorway and later flanking sashes. Bull's-eye windows to wings which have pulvinated friezes. The centre is richly carved, mainly in horizontal strips full of grotesque faces and rich vegetation.
The carving is deeply undercut and has survived extremely well.
Interior: the room with grotto front has coved and vaulted painted ceiling (birds etc) dated 1948 and signed Sander. The interior generally has doorcases, fireplaces etc of high quality which might be replica. To north-east in garden is a modern Tuscan temple housing C16 (possibly) marble reliefs.
Pergola to north with on a stand a bust of Georgina Herbert with inscription:-
"Established and 1st taught in this school March 25th 1838. Her works do follow her".
Listing NGR: SU1017231154
© Mr Peter Read. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Read, Peter
Rights Holder: Read, Peter
Ashlar, Cement, Tudor Grotto, Elizabethan Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Stuart School House, Jacobean Education, Bust, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Pavilion