This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BAYLHAM UPPER STREET TM 15 SW 3/48 Lilac Cottage - - II A small 3-cell open-hall house of late C14 or early C15, with major alterations of C17 and later. 1 storey and attics. Timber-framed and plastered; there are large areas of herringbone pargetting in panels, and over the entrance is an oval with the incised date 1768 or 1788 (the numbers are indistinct) and beneath the oval is a pair of hearts. The roof is thatched but the right-hand half renewed with pantiles. Axial C17/C18 chimney of red brick, repaired in mid C20. To right of entrance is a small-pane casement of c.1800 with a hinged boarded shutter. Various other C19 and C20 casements.
Boarded entrance door of c.1800. An unusually early example of a modest mediaeval house. The central open truss in the hall is depleted, but has near-straight square-section arch-braces rising to the stump of the tie-beam.
At the right-hand end, the closed truss rose only to eaves level, allowing smoke into the loft above the right-hand cell. The other closed truss in the hall rose to the ridge. Both end cells have lodged 1st floor joists. The studwork is widely spaced, with arch-bracing at corners. A large chimney was inserted into the hall in C17, the roof was rebuilt and the upper floor built over the hall. Intermediate studding was introduced to the external walls.
In C18/C19 a second flue was added to the stack and the adjacent closed truss almost destroyed. A fire in mid C20 destroyed part of the roof, which was formerly hipped at the right.
Listing NGR: TM1051251607
© Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Pantile, Pargeting, Plaster, Thatch, Timber, Medieval Open Hall House, Monument (By Form), Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument