This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CODDENHAM MILL LANE, BAYLHAM TM 15 SW 7/32 Bridge over River Gipping - with attached lock, immediately east of Baylham Mill - II
Bridge and lock, c.1780 with repairs of gault brick in C19. Humped bridge of red brick with semi-circular arch over the River Gipping and an adjacent smaller arch to left. 1 metre high parapets with moulded and painted stone and concrete cappings. Attached and upstream of the bridge is a contemporary lock of red and gault brick. Wooden gates, at the top C20 and bottom C19, are fairly complete but ruinous. Believed to be the best surviving example of an Ipswich and Stowmarket Navigation Lock. The parish boundary with Baylham follows the centre of the River Gipping and therefore passes through the bridge and lock.
Listing NGR: TM1126052709
Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Wood, Georgian Bridge, Monument <By Form>, Transport, Lock, Water Transport Site, Maritime, Water Regulation Installation, Lock Gate