This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BARKING BATTISFORD ROAD TM 05 SE
2/27 Fairfax House
House, c.1600. 2-cell lobby-entrance plan. 2 storeys and attics. Timber- framed and pebble-dashed; the 1st floor gable is jettied to left. Plaintiled roof with original chimney of narrow red bricks; a rectangular base with moulded brick cornice, and a shaft of narrow gault bricks. C20 small-pane sashes and gabled entrance porch with panelled door. Good quality timber- framing, unusually complete and well-exposed throughout. Chamfered ceiling joists, those to the attic floor are on edge. Close-studding with several blocked mullioned windows; in the parlour and chamber above ovolo-moulded and originally glazed, and over the hall diamond-mullioned and unglazed. Good unaltered open fireplaces, wide with a cambered lintel in the hall, and with an elliptical head in the parlour. A single-storey rear service wing may be a vestige of an earlier house. Formerly known as Spalding Hall. The Revd. John Fairfax, Rector of Needham Market until ejected in 1662, lived here after a period of imprisonment for his religious convictions, and died in 1700.
Listing NGR: TM0714253186
Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Pebbledash, Tile, Timber, Tudor Jettied House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Jettied Building, Jacobean Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling