This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BARKING DARMSDEN TM 05 SE
2/38 Tarston Hall -
Former farmhouse. Early C17 with a probably C16 service range to rear. 2 storeys with attics and 1 storey with attics. Timber-framed and plastered with extensive restored C18 cable-pattern pargetting. Plaintiled roofs with axial and external chimneys of red brick. Small-pane casements and sashes mainly of C20. Boarded C20 entrance door. The C17 range has complete unmoulded timber-framing fully exposed. Some diamond-mullioned windows, now internal. A stairwing has a newel staircase rising through 3 storeys.
Clasped-purlin roof. The earlier single-storey range has unchamfered flat joists and a large open lintelled fireplace. A chimney is scratch-dated 1791, the probable approximate date of 2 corner cupboards and other alterations.
The house stands adjacent to a complete mediaeval moat, no doubt that surrounding the earlier house of the manor of Tarston.
Listing NGR: TM0818851936
© Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Pargeting, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Farmhouse, Agricultural Dwelling, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building