This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON WEST SIDE COMMON, SW19 TQ 2370 7/188 No 4 GV II
Substantial detached house, now three residences. 1894. Designed by E J May.
Brick, with some stone dressings, some tilehanging and steeply pitched roofs to eaves. 2 storeys plus roof storey. Domestic Revival manner. Main entrance to left return within shell hooded porch with flanking Tuscan columns. Irregular composition of 3 main bays to road, each bay beneath a separate gable, that to the centre recessed with projecting balcony having balustrade of turned timber balusters.
Central projecting bay window to ground and first floor. Ground floor windows to centre and left with stone mullions and transoms; timber mullioned and transomed windows above; windows mainly square headed, except to ground floor right where windows are segmental headed, and gable windows of outer bays; which are each of 5 lights, the central one arched. Tall chimneys with moulded tops. Similar treatment to other facades. Interior retains many original features, including barrel vaulted entrance hall with richly moulded panelling, cornice and fireplace; dining room with panelling, marble and timber fireplace with recessed panelled niche above and rich cornices, open well top lit staircase with turned balusters; further decorative cornices, etc.
Listing NGR: TQ2333870805
Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Philpott, Patricia
Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia
Brick, Stone, Tile, Victorian Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling