This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON HIGH ST, Wimbledon, SW19 TQ 2371 (north side) 5/62 Eagle House 1.6.49 GV II*
Substantial house. 1613, built for Robert Bell. Restored in 1887 by T G Jackson.
Brick, now mostly stuccoed. Tiled pitched roof to parapet. 3 storeys plus basement.
3 bays. Central entrance with depressed arch. Stone mullioned windows to basement.
Canted bays to either side to basement, ground and first floors with exposed C17 brick between storeys, timber mullions and transoms, leaded lights. Corbelled canted oriel above central entrance, wider, having 4 rather than 3-lights to front.
Moulded stucco bands between storeys. Square headed 3-light timber mullioned and transomed windows to second floor. Each bay with shaped gable. Rows of tall moulded polygonal chimneys between bays. Rear and return elevations similar. C18 extensions to left. Interior has ground floor hall running from front to rear in centre of house. 3 original plaster ceilings on first floor. Panelling to former dining room 1730; hall overmantle; other C18 features. Owned and restored by the architect Sir T G Jackson.
Listing NGR: TQ2387971169
Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Philpott, Patricia
Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia
Brick, Stucco, Tile, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling