This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRAMFORD SHIP LANE TM 1246 9/83 Walling and gateway along - road frontage to Bramford House, with return 10m west of House - II Walling, gate and gatepiers, c.1700 with later alterations. A pedestrian gateway gives access from Ship Lane to the front entrance of Bramford House.
A pair of square orange brick gatepiers (now painted), with moulded painted scone copings and ball finials. On the inner face of each pier is a pilaster with hinges for the original pair of gates. The present light wrought iron gate has side panels and crown, all scroll-enriched. Attached to left is a 15 metre length of walling of orange brick with burnt headers, 2.5 metres high and with a heavy brick capping oversailing from a saw-tooth course. It returns northwards 10 metres west of the house. A similar but lower section to right of the gateway continues to the corner of Mill Lane. The corner has been rebuilt in C20 with a curved form, but the original work continues for 20 metres along Mill Lane to a gateway giving access to the stable yard.
Listing NGR: TM1268546403
Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Stuart Gate, Georgian Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Yard