This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
694/1/60 PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY 18-JUL-49 (Formerly listed as: KINGSBURY STREET PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY)
Founded 1160 (probably on site of earlier church mentioned in 1091). From this period remain 1 doorway in West tower (1 order of zig-zag, 1 order of collonnettes, taking more zig-zag voussoirs, 1 cable-moulded hood and imposts), and West respond of North arcade (fat half-column with scalloped capital), remainder of which was destroyed by fire of 1653.
West tower C15, ashlar, with crenellated parapet, mullioned windows with hood moulds, weather vane and clocks. Outside walls to nave and two aisles C15, ashlar, but interior was destroyed in fire of 1653 and rebuilt amalgamating nave and North aisle. 6 bays of windows with Perpendicular tracery, buttresses, and South porch.
North wall heightened in 1653 to bring it up to nave level. South arcade also built in 1653 with 5 round arches on large circular piers with necking, spirally scallopped capital, and drop finials at 4 corners of square abaci. This arcade, the most remarkable feature of the church, bears some resemblance to contemporary church building in the Netherlands.
Chancel added in 1874 by Street.
Listing NGR: SU1893769248
Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Mack. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Hilary
Rights Holder: Mack, Hilary
Ashlar, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Weather Vane, Unassigned