This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HILLIERS' YARD 1.
5407 (West Side) Range of former stabling and coach houses SU 1869 1/203 SU 1868 2/203 II 2.
Early C18. Chequer brick. Bath stone ashlar dressings. Hipped old tile roof.
Brick stacks. 2 storeys. Ashlar quoins. Ashlar consoles to eaves cornice.
At 4 points an ashlar bay breaks forward very slightly to frame 1 segment-headed planked door and 1 segment-headed planked loft door. Of these only the right hand one survives entirely; the next one has been altered at ground floor level; the next one has been altered completely; and the left hand one has been altered at ground floor level, and ashlar between its floors replaced by brick. Also surviving from original design on ground floor are:- 3 stone mullioned windows in ashlar frames (left hand one has lost its original mullion); 1 planked stable door with ashlar surround. Various C19 or modern casements with glazing bars, and planked doors.
Design continued in 2 contemporary extensions under same roof and cornice to north.
First one has 1 planked loft door with ashlar surround, 1 formerly stone-mullioned window in ashlar surround, and 1 modern planked door in original ashlar surround, but other openings C19/C20. Second one has door in ashlar surround with tripartite fanlight over, flanked by 2 casements in ashlar surrounds.
Listing NGR: SU1878769030
Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Mack. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Hilary
Rights Holder: Mack, Hilary
Ashlar, Bath Stone, Brick, Tile, Stuart Stable, Georgian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Coach House, Road Transport Site