This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 13 NE HOLBROOK CHURCH ROAD
2/26 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 chancel and nave with C15 repairs to upper parts, C15 south aisle, C14 south tower incorporating south porch, circa 1863 north aisle with porch at western re-entrant angle. C19 north chapel. Flint rubble, septaria, ashlar, C15 and later red brick stone dressings. Grey slate and lead roofs. Chancel: Stuccoed east wall, angle buttresses, depressed gable with cross finial, window of 4 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, chamfered 2-centred arch, label with king and queen stops. Band below window continues through south wall. South wall of rubble and red brick, parapet continues through nave, band with gargoyles. South window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 4-centred head and label. South aisle: South wall mainly stuccoed, red brick parapet, red brick east wall. Plinth, angle and 2 central buttresses. 3 windows with buttresses between, the eastern window blocked, each of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 4-centred heads and labels, the eastern window similar but taller and with different tracery.
Blocked doorway to west of windows, stop chamfered 2-centred arch and label. East wall window, C19, 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights above and below transom, 4-centred head and label. South west tower of 3 stages, band to each stage. Parapet raised at angles. North western polygonal crenellated stair turret raised above parapet.
Gargoyles below parapet. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinque- foiled lights 2-centred heads, 2-centred arches and labels. Second stage, south, east and west faces, small single light windows, cinquefoiled 2-centred arches and labels. Ground floor western and eastern windows, 2 cinquefoiled lights above and below transom, moulded 2-centred arch, foliate stops to label. Flint flushwork to plinth. South doorway, moulded 2-centred arch, semi-octagonal jamb shafts, moulded capitals. Above the doorway is a niche with cinquefoiled 2-centred head.
The fabric surrounding the doorway and below the niche is of septaria rubble rather than flint and brick rubble. Nave, west wall, formerly gabled and of stone rubble, this wall has been raised with red brick to a depressed gable, corner buttresses, plastered dado with 3 disc dials below the window. Red brick window of 4 lights, 2-centred heads, Y-tracery, 2-centred head, stone label with head stops, band below window. North wall, the lower area of rubble, the upper of red brick with parapet.
Adjacent to the north aisle is a blocked red brick window of 2 round-headed lights, square head and label, this partly concealed by north aisle. Below this window is an angled porch with pointed roof of stone tiles, moulded 2-centre arched doorway, label with foliate stops. C19 north aisle, north wall has 4 buttresses with 3-light windows, roundels, 2-centre arched heads between, band below windows carries through, west wall window of 2 lights, Y-tracery, moulded 2-centred arch. North chapel, east wall, bowed trefoil light, label carries over 2-centred arch doorway, north wall, 2-light window under a square head. Interior:- West porch. Tierceron vault, moulded ribs, foliate bosses to central octagon, angel heads to wall apices, wall shafts with moulded bases, moulded and crenellated capitals. Inner doorway, moulded and stop chamfered 2-centred arch. Door of 5 nailed boards, 4 strap hinges. Square brick floor. There is no division between chancel and nave. Roof of 8 bays. Heavy chamfered tie-beams, pegged solid brackets from wall posts to tie-beams. Very short chamfered king posts, chamfered ridge board, chamfered side purlins, plain wall plates. C19 coloured tiled floor throughout. Chancel: C19 stone reredos of 5 trefoiled arches, cusped roundels over, 3 flanking trefoiled arches to each side.
C19 altar rails, wooden posts, foliate brackets, moulded rail. South wall, double piscinae, 2 trefoiled arches, blank quatrefoil over, 2-centred head, 2 octagonal drains. Adjacent to west is the double sedilia, 2 trefoiled arches, moulded central shaft, moulded 2-centred heads, cills of 2 levels. To west of sedilia is a blocked archway, sunk segmental head, the label over continues through south, east and north walls of chancel. Disc dial to west of this archway. North wall, north doorway, trefoiled inner arch, moulded 2-centred outer arch, each resting on shafts with moulded capitals and bases, label with foliate stops. Oval wall plaque above north door, Trapnell and Cobbold, 1773-1835. North wall piscina, moulded trefoiled arch, moulded capitals and bases to jab shafts, round drain. Brass chandelier converted to 10 electric lights. C19 choir stalls. Arch braced lean-to roof to north vestry.
Nave: C19 stone octagonal pulpit, moulded and crenellated rim, carved roundels to each panel, trefoiled panels to base, moulded soffit, stem of attached shafts with splayed bases. Lectern, stone, rectangular with similar decoration as pulpit.
C19/C20 pews, carved roundels to end panels. Floor slab, Rev Martin Nunn 1781.
West end of nave, a band follows through from south aisle, above sunk chamfered segmental-headed doorway and the moulded 2-centred arch of the stair turret doorway, below the western window, over the segmental-headed north doorway and terminates at north aisle, foliate end stops. Octagonal font, carved roundels to each face, moulded capital and base to stem, octagonal base with step to west. Disc dials to north and south walls. South wall, framed painting of Child with Lamb. Hatch- ment to north wall. North wall, blocked splayed square window. North and south arcades similar, of 3 bays, moulded 2-centred arches, columns of 4 attached shafts, continuous moulded capitals and bases, 3 attached shafts to responds. North aisle, lean-to roof of 3 bays, pierced arched braces to apex. Organ to north east corner.
Caernarvon-headed doorway in west wall. South aisle: Lean-to roof of 4 bays, stop chamfered double purlins and bridging joists. Wall brass, Hannah Rodgers, 1893.
Floor slab, partially obscured by a pew, 'Clench of Holbrook and Elizabeth his wife, April 1659', coat of arms over south east corner. Monument Judge John Clench 1607 and his wife, two table tombs, his against the wall and above hers, each effigy lying on its side facing forward, heads resting on left hand, both with ruffs and headress, he wearing a cloak over a belted gown, she in a belted gown with long sleeves terminating in ruffs, set back to either side of her effigy are 3 sows and 2 daughters with 4 sons and 6 daughters above and set further back. C17 embellish- ment surrounds the inscription panel above with flanking and central coat of arms.
Inscription panel to lower tomb relates, Margerie Clench, late wife of Thomas Clench' 2 July 1597. There is said to be a late C15 brass, 31 ins long of a knight in armour wall plaque relating that Gifford Read 1846 - 1929 and Augusta Walker his wife, left their property at Holbrook House to the Admiralty in Trust for the Navy in memory of its services in the Great War 1914-1918. Both rest in New Zealand.
QV 5/35. Wall memorial to John Reade of Holbrook House, 7.7.1843.
Listing NGR: TM1704036128
© Mr Russell Edwards. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edwards, Russell
Rights Holder: Edwards, Russell
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Lead, Rubble, Septaria, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Table Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Plaque, Coat Of Arms
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.