This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 13 SE STUTTON STUTTON GREEN
5/89 Church of St Peter
22/2/55 GV II*
Parish church. C15 nave and south tower, ground floor of which serves as south porch. C19 chancel, south vestry, north chapel and north transept. C12 window and decoration reset in east wall of vestry. Mainly flint faced over rubble walls, plastered to north walls and south vestry. Flint flush chequerwork to crenellations and plinth. Stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, that to nave lower than chancel, stone parapet verges to gables, cross to chancel east gable, plinth follows through. Chancel: East window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2- centred head, label with foliate stops. Angle buttresses, north and south wall windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, moulded segmental heads and labels.
South vestry: Buttress to southern angles. South wall, quatrefoiled roundel to gable, window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights under a square head, west wall, small window, trefoiled 2-centre arched, east wall small, reset, decorated C12 round- headed window, above and below the window are fragments of Norman decoration. C19 2-centre arched doorway under a square head and label, carved spandrels. North chapel: Gabled to east with quatrefoiled roundel to gable, window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, segmental head and label, buttress to north-east angle.
North wall, east and west chamfered trefoiled 2-centred arches, labels over, central window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, segmental head and label. North transept: North wall window of 3 cinquefoil lights, tracery over, 4-centred head and label. 2 small trefoiled lights to west wall. Nave: North wall, 2 windows, 2-centred heads, Y-tracery, buttresses between windows and to west of west window.
West wall, buttressed at angles. Cross to gable. Square louvred light to gable.
West window possibly C15, tall, of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights above and below a transom, tracery over. South wall, three 2-centre arched windows, Y-tracery to central windows, trefoiled with quatrefoils to east and west windows. South Tower: Crenellated with gargoyles to east, south and west faces, buttresses to southern angles, flint chequerwork to crenellations, plinth and buttresses. Each face of bell chamber with a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, segmental head and label.
Slit light to first floor west wall and a small window with cinquefoiled head and label to south face. Traces of a red brick arch to ground floor west wall. South doorway, moulded 2-centred arch and label, moulded capitals and bases to jamb shafts.
Pair of double doors, each of 5 overlapping boards, carved lintel over and boarding above. Interior: South Porch: (Ground floor of south tower). Stone flag floor.
Panelled chests to east and west walls. Nave south doorway, chamfered and moulded 2-centred arch of 3 orders, moulded label, moulded door of 5 overlapping boards, 3 strap hinges, central boss to centre hinge probably the plate of sanctuary knocker.
Chancel: Roof of 3 bays, double side purlins and ridge board, arched braces to lower purlins, arched braces to collars supported by stone corbels, tracery above collars. C19 coloured tiled floor. Reredos of 3 traceried and painted panels.
Side panels of stone cinquefoiled double arches, moulded capitals and bases to shafts. South wall piscina, trefoiled 2-centred head and label, octofoil drain.
Stone shelf to north wall. C19 and C20 stained glass to windows, (much of the C19 glass was destroyed during the 1939-45 war). Wooden screen of 5 bays, cusped arches, tracery over, entrance through central bay. Organ to south wall (vestry entrance) floor slab to vault, coat of arms 'confido' and lion crest. North wall, entrance to north chapel, moulded 4-centred arch springing from foliate corbels, moulded label, foliate stops. 2 floor slabs at entrance to chapel, (1) Richard ? White, 1747, Coat of Arms. (2) George May, 1764, Coat of Arms. North chapel and north transept (1862) archway between, chamfered 2-centred arch with chamfered stone fire surround set into north-eastern jamb. Hatchment above arch. Area of red and yellow painted tiles to floor. Roofs of 7 cants. C19 stained glass to windows. Wall slab to Sisley Rowe 164?3. Memorials to Rev Tobias Rustat and Sarah his relict 1766. Rev Thos Mills, 1827. Nave: C19 chancel arch, chamfered 2-centred arch springing from foliate corbels. Royal arms board over. Altar rails, posts of twisted brass, moulded wooden top rail. Brass lectern. Octagonal pulpit with no stem, pierced traceried panels. South wall, blocked stop chamfered 4-centre arched doorway, probably to former rood loft stairs. Brick floor throughout. Pews with carved poppyheads, side and front panels. South wall, 9 stone or brass C19/C20 wall plaques to Reade family and one to R Gladwell. C19 stained glass to windows.
Three C19/C20 wall brasses to north wall. North wall monuments, urn on a shelf with pendants, Bridget Allen 1777. Mary and Gill Bradley 1815 and 1821. To north west and south west walls are 2 similar monuments, that to north wall John Jermy 1662 and his wife, set within a pair of arches the carved kneeling couple face each other with a prayer desk and open books before them, behind the man is a son and behind the woman 2 daughters. Carved pilasters, cornice and coat of arms over.
Below are side pendants and scrolls with 2 inscribed panels between, a poem written by John Jermy in memory of his wife a little before his death. The south wall monument is similar, to Isaac and Lady Jane Jermy 1623, the clothes are different and there are no kneeling children. Below the west window a plaque relates the enlargement and rearrangement of the church, 1862. 2-centred archway to stair turret, door of 4 boards with nailed muntins. Octagonal font, two 2-centred arches to each face, large central column to stem with 8 smaller angle columns, all with capitals and bases, octagonal base. 5 cant roof of 7 bays, boarded between principals, carved figures holding shields to east and west of north and south moulded wall plates.
Listing NGR: TM1615434462
Copyright IoE Mr Russell Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edwards, Russell
Rights Holder: Edwards, Russell
Flint, Plaster, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Architectural Fragment, Unassigned, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Coat Of Arms, Plaque