This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 13 NW STUTTON BENTLEY LANE
1/67 Baker's Almshouses
Almshouses. Circa 1863. Erected in memory of Rev George Baker by his sisters.
Red brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Half H-plan with courtyard facing the road, flanked by gabled wings to right and left. Two chimneystacks to each range, each with 2 octagonal shafts, moulded bases and capping. Single storey. Parapet verges to gables. Central range has 5 gables with bargeboards, centre gable larger and on arched brackets. 2:1:2 window range of 2-light small paned casements, square heads and labels, central window adjoins a door to left, each with pointed segmental head, vertically boarded door with ornate strap hinges. Coat of Arms below window.
Plaque over door. Slit lights to right and left wing gable apices, 2-light case- ments under, square heads and labels. The courtyard faces of these two wings each have an end gable on brackets blank below, and 3 small paned casements. The outer faces each with similar end gables, 3 gables with 2-light casements and hoods match- ing central range and a larger gable with door and window under similar to central range.
Listing NGR: TM1463635043
Copyright IoE Mr Russell Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edwards, Russell
Rights Holder: Edwards, Russell
Brick, Tile, Victorian Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque