This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 13 NE FRESTON CHURCH LANE (East side) 4/4 Church of St Peter 22.2.55 II* Church. C13-C14. Extensive restoration of 1875. C19 additions include vestry and porch. Flint rubble with some septaria to tower, ashlar dressings. East end rendered.
Porch of knapped flint and ashlar with timber superstructure. Plain tile roof.
West tower, continuous nave and chancel, south porch, polygonal organ chamber to south and similar vestry to north. 3-stage tower with 2-light west window and belfry openings. Diagonal off-set flushwork buttresses. Off-set top stage embattled.
South porch contains a continuously-moulded pointed door with stiff-leaf stops. Nave: 2-light windows with C19 tracery. Blocked north door continuously-moulded with foliate stops. Single-light windows and pointed doors to organ chamber and vestry, under conical roofs. Chancel: 2-light window to south, heavily restored, retaining head stops to hoodmould. 3-light east window with C19 intersecting tracery. Head stops to hoodmould. Interior: tall tower arch with sanctus bell window above. C19 timber roof and fittings. Ogee-arched cusped piscina to chancel. C16 octagonal font with alternating panels of lions and demi-angels with shields, on renewed base.
Black ledger in tower with achievement of arms, in roundel inscribed to John Wright 'patron of the church' d. l1 February 1723. Stained glass on north side of nave of 1922 by William Morris and Co.
Listing NGR: TM1709639511
Copyright IoE Mr Russell Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edwards, Russell
Rights Holder: Edwards, Russell
Ashlar, Flint, Render, Rubble, Tile, Timber, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative