This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 1564 NW RYTON THE GREEN (north side) 15/89 Ryton
21.1.49 Church of Holy Cross
Parish church. C13 restored 1877-1886. Rainwater heads dated 1826.
Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slate with flat stone gable copings; lead roof to broach spire. Aisled west tower and nave; south porch; chancel with north vestry.
Tower: tall lancet flanked by tall buttresses; lancets and shouldered belfry openings in upper stages under flower-decorated corbel table.
Aisles have Perpendicular windows: east and west lancets; north blocked pointed-arched door in second bay from west; parapets battlemented at west. 2 shafts to 2-centred doorway of porch which has stone seats; nook shafts to pointed-arched church door. Chancel has south priest's door under fifth of 5 lancets; sixth window 2-light Transitional. East front has almond-shaped window above 3 lancets; 3 stepped buttresses. Clasping buttresses to aisles and chancel; head-stopped-chamfered buttress between third and fourth lancets of chancel. Chancel blind on north. Interior: painted rubble, some plaster. Crown-post nave roof; C19 square-panelled chancel roof.
Double-chamfered arches spring from corbels on square piers of open tower, some with nail-head decoration. Mask corbels to double-chamfered 3-bay nave arcades on octagonal piers at east, round piers at west. Dado of re-used box pews with diabolo balustrade panels. Tree painting on plaster reveals of west window. C19 carved oak pulpit on Frosterley marble columns and octagonal stone pedestal; C17 figures on ends of choir stalls; re-used rood screen. Mural brasses to members of Bunnyfamily, including Francis, rector of Ryton, died 1617. C13 Stanhope marble effigy of priest in chancel. 2 hatchments in south aisle. C14 Flemish glass re-used in west window, east bay of chancel, and south aisle, all restored by W. Wailes c.1848. East window by Kempe 1884; east window in south aisle 1889 by H. Holliday.
1886 spiral stair to tower of slender wooden ogee-arched construction.
Source: D. A. Briggs and N.I. Dugdale Holy Cross Church (Gloucester n.d.).
Listing NGR: NZ1509964831
© Mr Edmund Martin. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Martin, Edmund
Rights Holder: Martin, Edmund
Ashlar, Lake District Slate, Sandstone, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative Brass
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.