This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5205 CHURCH STREET 783-1/7/33 (East side) 25/06/73 Conservative Club
Parsonage, now club. Dated 1822 in north gable; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof. Square double-depth plan. Classical style. 2 storeys over basement, 3 windows, symmetrical: with a chamfered plinth and moulded gutter cornice; a central round-headed doorway which has an open-pedimented Tuscan doorcase with engaged columns and fluted entablatures, and a panelled door with blocked fanlight; 12-pane unhorned sashed windows at ground floor, and 12-pane top-hung casements above, all these windows with raised sills and wedge lintels. Gable chimneys. The 3-window left return wall has 2 basement windows, three 12-pane sashed windows on each main floor, and a pedimental gable containing a large datestone inscribed: THIS PARSONAGE HOUSE/ WAS REBUILT AD 1822/ REVD INO BIRD AB CURATE/ THOS STOFFORD/ DANL BRIDEN/ WARDENS. The right-hand return wall has an added latrine turret. The rear has a basement doorway with a moulded architrave, flanked by 12-pane sashes, and various other sashed windows mostly 12-paned. INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SD5228105097
Copyright IoE Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barker, Simon
Rights Holder: Barker, Simon
Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Georgian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Political Club, Recreational, Club