This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5205 CHURCH STREET 783-1/7/31 (East side) 07/01/52 Church of St Thomas the Martyr
Parish church, the nave formerly the chancel of the Benedictine Priory of Up Holland founded in 1317-18 by Walter Lang, Bishop of Lichfield. Early C14 nave with north and south aisles (restored C19), late C15 west tower, chancel of 1882-6, with crypt. Coursed rubble; slate roofs. The tower, of 4 unequal stages, with diagonal buttresses which have 8 set-offs, has a low 2-centred arched west doorway with 3 orders of hollow moulding containing masks, shields, figures and Tudor roses; a large C19 2-centred arched 3-light west window with reticulated tracery; a drip-band, and 2-light belfry windows with stone louvres, a short top stage with clock faces, a drip-band over this with grotesques, and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; and, in the angle of the north side, a low Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround. The junction of the north aisle and the tower incorporates a redundant quatrefoil pier of the former crossing, and to the left of this a 2-centred arched 4-light window with C19 intersecting tracery. The 4-bay aisles have large buttresses and 2-centred arched C19 windows with reticulated tracery, and similar windows at the east end. The chancel is 2 bays over a crypt, with a short extruded polygonal stair-turret down to the crypt, flanked by low 2-light windows to the crypt and transomed 2-light windows above; its east end has 2 doorways to the crypt, and a large 5-light east window with elaborate reticulated tracery including a rose composed of mouchettes and quatrefoils. INTERIOR: 4-bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil columns with moulded annular caps and 2-centred arches with 2 orders of rounded chamfer and hoodmoulds with carved stops; 2-centred tower moulded in 3 orders with moulded impost bands; large 2-centred chancel arch moulded in 3 orders; C20 ceilings; 2 painted hatchments in each aisle, painted wooden Commandment Table and 2 painted wooden benefaction lists in south aisle, and painted Arms of George I in north aisle. At west end of nave, a fine Church Wardens' pew dated 1679, with muntin-and-rail panelling and top rail with raised lettering: WILLIAM: GASKELL: OF: HOLLAND: AND: ROBERT: BIRC/ HALL: OF: ORREL: CHURCH: WARDENS: THIS: YEARE: 1679. In base of tower, a Church Wardens' cupboard dated 1720 with shouldered fielded panel doors, the lintel inscribed: "Thomas Prescott Lawrence Eaton/ Wardens 1720" and both doors with inscribed scriptural quotations relating to charity. Forms group with stone piers and lamp at foot of steps (qv), Conservative Club to south-west (qv), remains of former Up Holland Priory (qv) and No.7, Priory House (qv) to south.
Listing NGR: SD5231005106
© Mr Simon Barker. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barker, Simon
Rights Holder: Barker, Simon
Rubble, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Benedictine Monastery, Monastery, Religious House, Priory
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.