This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ASHCOMBE ROAD 1.
4430 (South Side) CARSHALTON Rear Garden Walls to Nos 5 to 27 (odd) (Former Boundary Wall to Carshalton Park) TQ 2863 34/4 II 2. Early C18; date 1716 carved into a brick pillar at east end; southern boundary wall to former Carshalton Park. Red brick wall with rounded and battered coping; plinth; brick pilasters at intervals. To east of No 5 wall continues as south garden wall to No 32 Woodstock Road (see Woodstock Road, Carshalton). To rear of Nos 5 and 7 two imposing tall brick pillars with stone capping, easternmost one with date 1716. Wall broken down for garages to rear of probably Nos 11 and l3. A lower section around rear of No 17 with paler courses of brickwork added at the top above C18 coping; latter probably of C19 date; square pillar with stone capping. The magnificent wrought-iron gates flanked by statues of Diana and Actaeon and formerly in east boundary wall to The Park have been removed to Planting Fields, Oyster Bay, Baltimore, now owned by New York University.
Listing NGR: TQ2823363930
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Taverner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taverner, Robert
Rights Holder: Taverner, Robert
Brick, Stone, Stuart Garden Wall, Georgian Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary Wall, Boundary, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument