This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CODFORD CHURCH LANE ST 93 NE (east side) 7/44 Church of St Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary The Virgin) 11.9.68 GV II* Anglican parish church. Late C12, late C14, rebuilt by T.H. Wyatt 1863, restored 1878-79 by E.H. Lingen-Barker. Dressed limestone and rubble stone, tiled roofs with ceramic ridge cresting. Plan: Nave with south aisle, south porch, west tower, chancel with north vestry. C19 gabled porch has diagonal buttresses, coped verge, Tudor-arched doorway with planked door with ornamental hinges, side walls with cusped ogee lancets. South aisle has one 2-light pointed window with ogee lights to left and two to right of porch, 3-light west window and 2-light Perpendicular-style east window with quatrefoil over. Chancel has single C19 lancet to south, diagonal buttresses to east end, C19 three-light east window with hoodmould, datestones over inscribed WL/1807 and IM/1622, north side has two C19 lancets and a gabled vestry with shouldered planked door to east and pair of shouldered lights to north side.
North side of nave has three C19 two-light pointed windows, ashlar stack attached to west buttress. Three-stage C15 tower with string courses and diagonal buttresses, C19 moulded pointed west doorway with king mask terminals to hoodmould, C19 three-light window with reticulated tracery over, north side has arrowloop to second stage, south side has gilded circular clockface, 2-light Perpendicular windows with louvres to bellstage, string course to battlemented parapet. Interior: Three-bay C19 nave roof with deep arch-braced collar trusses on stone corbels, tiled floor with cast-iron heating grilles. Three-bay C19 south arcade with plain chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical piers, 3-bay aisle roof with arch-braced collars. Fine late C12 Transitional pointed chancel arch with keel-moulded shafts, crocketed capitals and square abaci, north east capital with vine carving, roll-moulded arch with scroll- carved ornament around top. Chancel floored with polychrome tiles, 2-bay deep arch-braced collar truss roof on stone angel corbels.
Organ pipes set in pointed chamfered archway to south chapel. C19 chancel fittings include 1891 interlaced arcading to stone reredos, truncated 1913, unsigned stained glass in east window of 1910.
South chapel has plain rafter roof, part of early C17 stone monument to John Mompesson, rector here 1612-1645; two round arches, composite columns to carved frieze and cornice, Mompesson arms below. Other fittings: cylindrical C12 stone font with roll mouldings, possibly recut, Jacobean polygonal carved wooden pulpit, reset on C19 stone plinth and with 1913 back panels and sounding board, altar said to incorporate part of pulpit panels from Church of St Mary, Oxford, brought here by James Ingram who died 1844.
1912 south west aisle window stained glass, 1898 glass in north window to commemorate 60 years of Victoria's reign. Good stone and slate memorial tablet in tower with floral drops and gadrooned apron, scrolled pediment with torch to John Ingram died 1785, gothic stone tablet over south door to Jacobus(sic) Ingram died 1844.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)
Listing NGR: ST9749139768