This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 50 NE NEWLAND NEWLAND VILLAGE CENTRE
8/96 Church of All Saints 12.12.53 (formerly listed under Newland)
Parish Church. Begun early C13, mid C14 and early C15 south and north chancel chapels, and late C19 clerestory and restorations.
Rubble stone, dressed stone quoins, stone slate roof with coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave and broad 3-bay aisles, gabled south porch with adjoining gabled chantry chapel 1305, chancel with flanking chapels. Tower is of 3 stages with string courses and stepped diagonal buttresses. Large west window with Y tracery and elongated quatrefoil above and many ogee lights on upper stages. Pierced parapet with pointed trefoil decoration and grouped crocketed pinnacles at each corner with spire finials.
South east corner has curved belfry stair and enlarged pinnacle group. Clock face to east. 1305 chantry chapel has 3-light Perpendicular window with drip mould and carved head label stops.
Large 5-light intersecting tracery window to south chancel chapel.
North chancel chapel has 3-light Perpendicular window, pierced cusped parapet and internal rood stair entrance.
Interior: nave roof has collar and tie beam trusses with curved windbracing between beams and struts to posts. 5 bay arcade of pointed arches on octagonal pillars with C19 clerestory of alternate one-and 3-light windows. Fine ironwork screen across south aisle to south chancel chapel which contains some medieval floor tiles. Early C17 wooden communion rail with spiral balusters. Octagonal font 1661 of local craft with shields in cartouches and simple leaf and geometrical decoration on shaft.
Stained glass by Clayton & Bell in C19 renewed east window and by Kempe 1898 in south chantry chapel. Many floor tombstones from C17, and wall monuments including several C17 stone monuments and many marble of C18 and C19. Also several effigies, including tomb chest of Sir John Joce, died 1344, and his lady died 1362; effigies of 2 priests, one of C13 thought to be founder of church, Robert de Wakering, and the other of late C14; unique effigy of Wyrhall, Forester of Fee, dated 1457 in hunting costume (family who lived at Bicknor Court q.v.). Also several brasses including small brass of medieval Forest of Dean miner. Church is called the "Cathedral of the Forest" because of breadth of aisles. (David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the [Forest of Dean 1980.]
Listing NGR: SO5527109525
Copyright IoE Caroline Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taylor, Caroline
Rights Holder: Taylor, Caroline
Rubble, Stone, Medieval Commemorative Brass, Tudor Commemorative, Elizabethan Commemorative Monument, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Chantry Chapel, Chapel, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Tombstone, Wall Monument