St James Hospital Chapel

Date:
2 Mar 2001
Location:
St James Hospital Chapel, Locksway Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire
Reference:
IOE01/00234/09
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

PORTSMOUTH

SU60SE LOCKSWAY ROAD, Milton 774-1/4/286 St James' Hospital Chapel 09/12/98

GV II

Hospital chapel. 1879. By George Rake. Knapped flint with stone dressings. Welsh slated roofs. PLAN: 5-bay nave, 1 bay apsidal chancel, south-west porch and west bellcote, north vestry. EXTERIOR: north face: 5 stone 2-light Y tracery windows with leaded lights, flanking offset buttresses. To left (east) is a vestry projecting from chancel with lean-to roof. At centre is a recessed 4-panelled diamond boarded door with overlight set under flat stone shouldered arch, stone sill and rusticated jambs. On left return to vestry is a 2-light window with leaded lights set under flat stone arch with rusticated jambs.

East face of chancel with lower roof has within apse 3 narrow lancet windows each set under stone pointed arch. rusticated jambs. East facing gable to nave has stone eaves. Kneelers, offset diagonal buttress at south corners. To right (north) of nave is octagonal stack. South face: four 2-light windows with flanking offset buttresses similar to north face. To left (west) is a projecting porch, recessed boarded with ornamental iron strap hinges, set under recessed stone pointed arch with flanking engaged Corinthian columns; outer arch stone pointed with hoodmould and stone roll moulded jambs. Flanking offset buttresses, facing stone coped gable with kneelers. West face: nave has slightly projecting and stepped centre bay. To left and right a lancet headed window. At centre over projecting bay is a stone base, with on each side paired engaged stone columns, pointed blinded arches with hoodmould surmounting stone bellcote with pointed arched opening, hoodmould and steep pitched facing gable. INTERIOR: nave has a 5-bay hammer beam roof with boarded ceiling. Curved boarded ceiling to chancel. Nave and chancel have stained glass windows. (Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle: Winchester: 1879-).





Listing NGR: SU6610802158

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Bardell2_Mark IOE Records for Bardell2, Mark; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Mark Bardell. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bardell2, Mark

Rights Holder: Bardell2, Mark

Keywords

Flint, Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Hospital, Health And Welfare