This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP61NW AMBROSDEN MERTON ROAD (North side)
11/5 Gatepiers, gates and attached walled garden to E of Church of St. Mary
Gatepiers and walled garden. Piers c.1690; walls probably contemporary or early C18. Limestone ashlar; coursed squared rubble and brick. Ashlar piers have moulded bases and caps, hanging strips with scrolled tops, and vase finials carved with gadrooning and acanthus; C20 gates. Walled garden, roughly square in plan, has rubble walls 2-3 metres high with flat copings, except on the west, bordering the churchyard, where the coping is triangular with an apex roll; blocked doorways to south and east have brick segmental arches; the top half of the inner face is lined with brick. The walls form a complete circuit except for approximately 10 metres of the south wall adjoining the gates, which have been lowered.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol. V, p.28).
Listing NGR: SP6032519428
Copyright IoE Mr Chris Neville. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Neville, Chris
Rights Holder: Neville, Chris
Ashlar, Brick, Limestone, Rubble, Stuart Gate Pier, Georgian Unassigned, Garden Wall, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Walled Garden, Garden, Gate