This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP6022 LAUNTON BICESTER R0AD (South side)
13/88 The Old Rectory 26/11/51 (Formerly listed as Rectory)
Wing of rectory, now house. 1828 by John Plowman (builder) for Reverend James Blomfield but part probably slightly earlier. Coursed squared limestone with some ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate roof with brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys. Right bay of 4-window front is earlier and has large tripartite sashes to both floors; other bays have 12-pane sashes plus the entrance, with 4-panel door, rectangular overlight and the inscription "Pax Intrantibus Salus Exeuntibus" on the lintel of its pilastered ashlar doorcase. All windows have ashlar flat arches. Shallow-pitched hipped roof with overhanging boxed eaves has end stacks. Rear has full-height sashes and a doorway with a fanlight. Interior not inspected. Entrance is re-set from a contemporary, demolished section. The C16/C17 main range, the home of Bishop Skinner during the Commonwealth, was demolished in 1965 but the study fireplace is now incorporated into a garage.
(V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.VI, p.233).
Listing NGR: SP6044722788
Copyright IoE Mr Chris Neville. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Neville, Chris
Rights Holder: Neville, Chris
Ashlar, Limestone, Welsh Slate, Medieval Vicarage, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Clergy House, Stuart Clerical Dwelling, Jacobean House, Dwelling, Garage, Transport, Road Transport Site, Structure, Unassigned, Monument <By Form>