This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 90 SW SAPPERTON FRAMPTON MANSELL
1/78 Church of St. Luke
Anglican Chapel of ease. 1844 by J. Parish. Coursed and dressed rubble stone with Cotswold stone-slate roof and coped gables with cross finials. Single block with apsidal chancel and tower on south west corner. Romanesque style. Tower of 4 stages with off-sets, and vestigial angle buttresses on lower 2 stages.
Single step round arch entrance to south with impost blocks and chamfered jambs; 3rd stage has round headed slit window facing south; belfry on 4th stage has open twin arches on all sides; hipped and sprocketed tile roof with weathervane. Nave of 5 bays, each with single light round arch window recessed in arch, the whole recessed in a rectangular panel with a line of modillions at the top, weathered sill and continuous off-set below. Apsidal chancel has 5 similar but narrower windows and conical roof with the line of modillions now joined to form a decorative Lombard frieze along the top of the panels. Projecting rafters at eaves all round. West window is tripartite with centre round arch higher and with moulded architraves and impost blocks linking 3 windows.
Interior: hammer beam roof on carved corbels with wind bracing.
Apse has 6 ribs joining at a boss carved with a cross motif, supported on colonnettes with carved capitals and low corbels.
Simple geometrical stained glass.
Listing NGR: SO9214002641
Copyright IoE Mr E. Currier. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Currier, E.
Rights Holder: Currier, E.
Cotswold Stone, Rubble, Stone, Victorian Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Chapel Of Ease, Chapel