This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 72 NE SILTON CHURCH ROAD
2/225 2/1 Church of 16.8.60. St Nicholas
Parish Church, late C12 arcade, C14 and C15 chancel, south aisle, west tower and north chapel, C17 north nave wall insert, general restoration of 1869. Coursed, squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Chapel entirely of ashlar. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with end stone copings.
Diagonal buttresses. Arcade is Romanesque, remainder of church in Perpendicular style. Tower: 2 stages separated by string-course; embattled parapet with string course bearing corner gargoyles; south vice turret; 3-light, pointed west window; bell stage has pointed 2-light, 2-centred windows with panel tracery with pierced stone panels and labels; chamfered, 4-centred vice door. 2 outer aisle windows are pointed with panel tracery. The central window is similar but with Y-tracery. West wall of aisle has pointed, panel tracery, 3-light window. North nave wall has similar C19 copies of south aisle windows.
North chapel has embattled parapet and string course with gargoyles.
4-centred east chapel window with panel tracery and label. C19 pointed east chancel window of 3-lights. Pointed south chancel window. South porch has moulded, 4-centred arch in square surround and has carved foliage in the spandrels. Label with head stops. 4-centred, moulded south door was with heavy ribbed, plank door. Porch has arch braced collar beam roof with carved wall plate and bosses. Internal features: 4 bay arcade with pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on round piers with moulded bases and fluted collarette capitals; C19 pointed chancel arch springing from corbels; pointed tower arch with shafted jambs; squint from aisle to chancel; C19 wooden pulpit; C19 octagonal stone font; C19 glass; C17/C18 and C19 monuments, the most notable being that to Sir Hugh Wyndham kt, 1692; this monument has statue of judge with mourners flanked by composite columns with spiral shafts supporting segmental canopy; ogee-headed cusped piscina; restored square-headed sedile; C16 wagon roofs to nave and aisles with moulded members and carved bosses and wall-plates; chapel has stone fan-vault springing from carved angel corbels.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 77-78, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 391/2).
Listing NGR: ST7826329347
© Mr Murray Pearson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pearson, Murray
Rights Holder: Pearson, Murray
Ashlar, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Chapel
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.