This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THORNAGE THE STREET, TG 03 NW (West side) 1/121 Church of All Saints 4.10.60.
Parish church, Cll and later. Restored 1898. Flint under plain tiles.
Tower, nave and chancel in one, north porch, south-west addition.
Unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages. Galletted knapped flint with stone dressings. Embattled parapet with string course. 4 C19 crocketted pinnacles. South-west stair turret with small blocked brick archway at base.
West window of 2 lights, panel tracery under hood mould; single cusp headed slit above. Cusped bell openings. North-west nave quoin with some long and short work in stone. North porch: roof restored 1900, wide 4-centred treble chamfered arch. Ogee headed niche above. 2 narrow headed return openings. North doorway of 2-centred arch with continuous double hollow chamfered mouldings under deep roll hood mould. Stoup recess to left. Ledged and battened door with wooden lock and latticed bracing to rear. North facade: one nave window of 3 segmental headed lights under a square head; 2 Cll double splayed small round headed windows above porch and to north chancel, the arches containing radiating thin bricks. Chancel with brick eaves dentil cornice. East window of 3 irregular pointed lights. South facade. Galletted coursed flint; Chancel set back c15m, 2 windows of 2 lights, one Decorated, one under segmental arch renewed; 2 nave windows of 2 and 3 segmental headed lights without tracery, ovolo moulded mullions, hollow chamfered surrounds. Gabled single storey south-west extension in pebble flint with stone dressings under pantile roof. Cross on gable apex.
Wide 2 light window with square head. Memorial plaque to 1914-18 war dead.
Interior: nave: C19 boarded roof with ties and collars. 2 bay south arcade now blocked; octagonal piers and caps, moulded equilateral arches. Tall tower arch with pointed segmental head. Octagonal stone font with moulded base on octagonal stem. Tortoise stone c1900 in north-west nave. Marble slab under tower with indent for kneeling lady c1525 with civilian husband.
Incised slab on west wall under tower to Anne, wife of Sir Clement Heigham, figure kneeling at prie-dieu, 2 shields of arms, inscription below framed with strapwork, 1590. Chancel: C19 boarded roof supported by braced posts; 4-centred arched doorway to screen stair, north, 3 steps remaining; black letter text on east wall; Mahogany cased organ dated 1812; 14 C15 poppy heads now incorporated into chancel bench and stall ends; piscina of 2 arches across arris of south window rear arch having central round pier with deep roll mouldings to capital and base, hollow chamfers to 2 pointed arches, bar stopped jambs, C13. Large monument on chancel south wall with chest tomb dated 1593; 4-centred arch to recess with reeded pilasters to jambs capped by urns; carved spandrels with crests of horse's head to left and wyvern to right; blank inscription cartouche over arch centre with surrounding motto "Soyez sage et simple"; Heraldic shields in 3 panels of chest, below slab, separated by Ionic pilasters.
Listing NGR: TG0498736210
© Mr John D. Cucksey. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cucksey, John D.
Rights Holder: Cucksey, John D.
Flint, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, War Memorial