This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STANWAY LONDON ROAD 1.
5214 (south side) Parish church of St Albright (formerly listed as TL 92 SW 11/57 Church of St Ethelberts) 7.4.65 II* 2. C12 and later, with extensive alterations by Gilbert Scott in circa 1880. Nave is early C12, and retains part of its original roof with scissor-bracing and notched lap joists. C12 windows in north wall, both single light with Roman brick jambs and round stone head. Mid C14 window with 2 cinquefoiled lights with uatrefoil in 2 centred head with moulded label, and head stops, C15 window with 2 cinquefoiled lights in 2 centred head. South wall has one C12 window and C12 doorway, with round arch of Roman brick. West wall has Roman brick quoins and C14 window, much restored. Restored C12 window above. Chancel added in 1826 and restored in circa 1880, when south aisle, south chapel and, it is said, the bell-turret were added. South arcade of circa 1500 from St Rumwald's Church. Colchester, North porch is C15 with 4 braced crown post on cambered tie-beam with hollow chamfers. Octagonal perpendicular font, with panels with shields and with chalice and the host surrounded by rays. East window by Kempe, 1892. Red plain tile roof. (RCHM 2).
Listing NGR: TL9403924318
Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Cowans. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cowans, Trevor
Rights Holder: Cowans, Trevor
Brick, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship