This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ROUNDWAY LONDON ROAD SU 06 SW (north side) 5/206 Marlborough Lodge and gate piers 27.6.73 II
Lodge to Roundway Park, c1800, ashlar with low slate roof. Single storey. To Roundway Park, the former drive, a projecting portico with four paired columns, entablature and balustrade. Single pilaster responds and half-glazed door in architrave. Entablature continued each side with parapet and returned on end walls. End walls have projecting pediment on angle piers, framing Venetian window with blank side-lights and centre sash. A rear wing has south side entablature and balustrade over 12-pane sash with architrave and cornice set in recessed panel. Each side of Roundway Park are two ornate oval rusticated gate piers each with fluted band under corniced cap and raised piers with scroll tops on four sides, cornice broken forward over scrolls. Large rounded urn finial on heavy stepped base. Original ashlar base for iron railings runs back from east pier to lodge which has attached rusticated corniced pier. Roundway Park House, now demolished, was built 1777-83 by James Wyatt for J. Sutton.
Listing NGR: SU0146262185
© Mr DR Parker. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Parker, Dr
Rights Holder: Parker, Dr
Ashlar, Slate, Georgian Lodge, Domestic, Gate Pier, Unassigned, Railings, Monument (By Form), Barrier