This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST9387 ABBEY ROW 758-1/4/14 (North side) 01/07/76 Wall attached to west corner of the Old Bell Hotel (Formerly Listed as: Boundary wall north-west of The Old Bell)
Wall. C18/19. Limestone rubble. Wall in 2 sections extending approx 10m, the right-hand section has quoins and a small re-used stoop, the left-hand section incorporates 3 re-used medieval fragments and timber lintels to blocked openings. HISTORICAL NOTE: the castle built by Roger of Salisbury c1118-39 was probably to one side or the other of Mill Lane, and reportedly encroached on a graveyard 'a stone's throw from the abbey church'. After the acquisition of the castle in 1216 by the abbey, the outer court was extended, and it is possible that the gateway of the outer court was at the junction of Abbey Row and Mill Lane. (Keystone Historic Building Consultants: The Town Walls of Malmesbury: 1994-: 18-19).
Listing NGR: ST9319987339
This is part of the Series: IOE\Williams_G IOE Records for Williams, G; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr G Williams. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Williams, G
Rights Holder: Williams, G
Limestone, Rubble, Medieval Architectural Fragment, Tudor Unassigned, Elizabethan Boundary Wall, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary