This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 12 NW STRATFORD TONEY STRATFORD TONY VILLAGE (south side)
4/171 Church of St. Mary and St. Lawrence 23/3/60
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13 north door, C14 chancel, C15 tower and C18 nave. Flint chancel, limestone and flint chequers to tower, brick and flint bands to nave, tiled roofs with coped verges. Consists of chancel, nave, west tower and north porch. C13 round-arched chamfered north door in brick gabled porch on north side nave, to left are two blocked segmental-arched windows, with buttress between, dentilled eaves cornice. Chancel has two 2-light square-headed windows with ogee-headed lights of C14. East end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light window with reticulated tracery. South side of chancel has two 2-light C14 windows as on north side, with narrow pointed priest's door to centre. South side nave has three 2-light windows with keystones and pointed heads, set in square cases, dentilled eaves. 3-stage west tower in good quality chequers, has diagonal butresses, string course at bell stage with 2-light louvred windows with transom and cusped heads to south, west and north sides, to west is 3-light C16 square-headed window with hood mould, string course at eaves level with corner gargoyles, plain parapet with saddleback coping, pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: Inner north door is planked with strap hinges in hollow and cyma-moulded Tudor-arched doorway. Plain nave with coved plaster ceiling and tiled floor. Double-chamfered chancel and tower arches. Chancel has C13 cusped piscina in Purbeck marble, on south wall, very fine late Cl7 box choir stalls with balustraded top to panels on walls and stalls. In the nave the late Cl7 box pews have been partially reset as open pews, but retaining all details, C13 cylindrical font at west end of nave. Particularly good stained glass in east window by Kempe, late C19. Wall tablets include classical marble at west end with cherubs' heads to Elizabeth Hill, died 1715, and plain marble in chancel signed by Osmond of Sarum, to George Taunton, died 1832, 1975), (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: SU0918326395
© Mr Peter Letcher. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Letcher, Peter
Rights Holder: Letcher, Peter
Brick, Flint, Limestone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.