This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 02 NW BROAD CHALKE SOUTH STREET (north side) 4/100 Church of All Saints 23.3.60
GV I Anglican parish church. Late C13, C14, C15, restorations 1847 and 1920. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof. Aisleless cruciform plan with south porch. Two-storey C15 porch has moulded pointed doorway with 2-light Perpendicular window and image niche over, frieze with rosettes and gargoyles to battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses. Nave has two pointed 3-light Perpendicular windows to right and one 3-light to left, battlemented parapet, stair turret in angle between nave and transept. South transept has large 5-light pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould, diagonal buttresses and plain parapet, east side has 3-light square-headed window with hoodmould. Chancel has pointed priest's door to south and three cusped lancets to north and south, east end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light pointed window, lean-to vestry on north side with lancet. C13 north transept has two lancets to east and 3-light window with geometric tracery, attached shafts and angle buttresses to north. North side of nave has four 3-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses, blocked Tudor- arched north door, battlemented parapet. West end has C13 chamfered pointed doorway with attached shafts, 5-light Perpendicular window over. Three-stage tower has string courses, square clockface and cusped lancet to south side, bellstage with 2- light square=headed cusped windows with louvres and hoodmoulds, moulded string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet.
Interior: Porch has 1920s rib-panelled roof, upper floor removed, stone benches, moulded pointed C14 doorway with ogee crocketed stoup to left. Nave has C15 four-bay king-post roof on fine stone angel-brackets, blocked doorway on south wall formerly to upper room of porch. C14 crossing with half-arch buttresses at east end of nave, hollow and cyma-moulded arches, tierceron vault with circular hatch for bell ropes, on carved corbels. South transept has 2-bay restored king-post roof on original corbels. Late C13 north transept has good trefoiled piscina and aumbry on east wall, original arch-braced collar rafter roof. Chancel also late C13, has restored 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof, two-seat sedilia with cusped pointed heads, moulded string course carried over south door, rere-arches to lancets. Fittings: C17 box pews in crossing and at west end, C17 reading desk and octagonal pulpit with barleysugar balusters to steps, C19 nave pews. C15 octagonal stone font with cusped panels and Cl9 cover. Fragment of Saxon cross shaft on south wall of nave. 1880s stained glass in chancel dedicated to Rev. Moore. Probable that the church once had, or was intended to have aisles, possibly in C13.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildin s of England; Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0407725348
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Letcher, Peter
Rights Holder: Letcher, Peter
Limestone, Welsh Slate, Early Medieval Cross, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative