This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PUXTON C.P. PUXTON LANE ST 46 SW
5/2 Parish Church of St Saviour 9.2.61
Parish Church: largely C15 and C16. Rubble, mainly rendered, slate roofs.
West tower, 3 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, north porch dated 1557. Tower leans considerably to west; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses and quatrefoil pierced parapet; heavily moulded west door under panelled 2-light perpendicular window; similar windows to all sides of second stage have louvres; plain polygonal stair turret at south east corner does not rise above parapet. Nave has irregular C14 and C15 windows, pointed south doorway and buttresses with weathered offsets and simple gabled north porch with ball finial. Chancel, not rendered, has C16 2- and 3-light square head windows; east window is 3-light perpendicular; at north is a small C19 former organ chamber. Interior is plastered; roof has C17 close spaced trusses with ceiling at tie beam level, except in pulpit bay which retains sawn-off ends of moulded beams of rood loft. Moulded chancel arch and base of C16 stone screen. Laudian, probably Jacobean, alter rails. Reading desk and panelled octagonal pulpit flanking chancel arch; wrought iron hourglass stand by pulpit. Early/mid C16 heavy oak pews in most of nave, rear of pew by entrance has cresting and finials; 5 C18 box pews. Norman tub font, scraped, C17 strapwork cover. West window on north side has shutter rebates and bolt socket. Commandment tables now at west end. C17 door with bar at south.
Royal arms, 1751 over south door.
Listing NGR: ST4066763257
Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Evans, Derek
Rights Holder: Evans, Derek
Render, Rubble, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship